199 Museum Way
Corbett Heights · San Francisco, CA 94114
-
1936
The San Francisco Board of Supervisors purchased the Corona Heights lot for $27,333.
-
1941
The Recreation Commission set aside the Corona Heights site for the museum.
-
1947
San Francisco voters passed a $12 million bond measure to fund a new Junior Museum building.
-
Sep 1949
The $12 million bond measure's funds were finally appropriated, and construction of the new museum building began.
-
Sep 1951
The Josephine D. Randall Junior Museum opened at Corona Heights, dedicated in honor of Josephine Randall, the city's superintendent of recreation for twenty-five years; the Recreation and Park Commission suspended its rule against naming buildings for living people to do so.
-
Aug 1991
The auditorium and lobby renovated.
-
Oct 1993
A horizontal addition built.
-
Mar 2001
A concrete patio and accessible ramp added, a storage area and entrance gate added, and the garage repaired.
-
Jun 2014
A primarily interior renovation: new geology and zoology exhibits, a renovated live-animal exhibit, science lab, multipurpose room, three bathrooms, lobby and concession and office areas, plus a new elevator and accessibility upgrades.
-
Dec 2015
Partial demolition of walls and interior renovation of the STEM lab and toddler room at the Randall Museum, including electrical, lighting and finishes.
-
Apr 2016
117 new sprinklers installed for the lower-level renovation, with a new fire service line off Roosevelt Way.
-
Aug 2016
A new addressable fire alarm system installed, with sprinkler monitoring, elevator recall, fire door release and full building coverage.
-
Aug 2016
Evacuation maps posted for the basement, first and mezzanine floors.
-
Jul 2017
Countertops and sinks replaced, and electrical outlets in the counter areas replaced; layouts unchanged.
-
Aug 2017
New electrical service installed, amending the scope of an earlier renovation permit.
-
Dec 2017
A new cafe and prep kitchen built as a tenant improvement.
Eleven of the 15 filings on this parcel are shown. Omitted are two nominal-cost inspection renewals and a final-inspection permit that only reference the permits above, and a $1 permit for the underground portion of the 2016 sprinkler work.
The Argonaut dates the museum's opening to September 1951; the assessor's roll and SF Planning both date the building to 1955. Both are on the record here, and the disagreement is not resolved. Also not yet documented: the architect, and what happened to the earlier Junior Recreation Museum building on Ocean Avenue in Balboa Park, which does not appear in the city's current address records. Submit an update