147–149 Natoma Street
East Cut · San Francisco, CA 94105
-
1875
Headquarters of the Underwriters' Fire Patrol, founded in San Francisco in 1875 as a private fire-fighting company with its own firehouses, alarm systems and firemen trained to salvage materials, engaged by insurance companies to hold down premiums and settlements. The patrol was absorbed into the San Francisco Fire Department in 1943.
-
1909
Built as the Underwriters Fire Patrol Building.
-
May 1982
Additions alterations or repairs.
-
Sep 1989
Re - roofing.
-
Mar 1993
Remove partition walls/install two doors (no structural).
-
Apr 1993
Hardship for bathroom.
-
Dec 2000
Seismic retrofit.
-
Jun 2001
Street space.
-
2008
Recorded in the city's 2008 survey of the Transit Center District, adopted in 2012, as a contributor to the proposed New Montgomery, Mission & Second Historic District.
-
Feb 2012
Install 1 panel, 6 smoke detectors and 3 relays for elevator recall/modern station.
-
May 2026
Replacing and modifying the sidewalk, as well as modifying the sub-sidewalk basement to accommodate the new sidewalk grades.
1 nominal $1 street-space or sidewalk permit is omitted from the timeline.
Not yet documented: the developer, the early tenants and the date of the last recorded sale. Submit an update