1940–1946 Fillmore Street
Pacific Heights · San Francisco, CA 94115
-
1882
The Fillmore-Pine Building, designed by the German architect Wildrich Winterhalter and built at the south-west corner of Pine and Fillmore in 1882 for a tobacco and cigar importer: an early example of a mixed-use building, with two storefronts — one let to a shoe shop, one to a fancy goods shop — and living quarters above.
-
May 1983
Additions alterations or repairs.
-
May 1983
Remodeling existing restaurant.
-
Aug 1983
Renovate 100 sq ft existing storefront.
-
Aug 1983
Remoe replace approximately 25 sq ft of sidewalkone basement.
-
Sep 1983
Hang up an old existing and extend the duct to a new 5'.
-
Nov 1983
Sign - erect.
-
Nov 1983
Sign - erect.
-
Nov 1983
Sign - erect.
-
Jun 1984
Crocker bank.
-
Mar 1993
Tenant improvements to existing restaurant space/no chg of u.
-
Apr 1993
Non-structural removal on preivious tenants equipment, table.
-
May 1993
Install an anbsul hood/duct fire system.
-
May 1993
To erect electric sign single faced.
-
May 1993
To erect single faced electric sign.
-
May 1993
To erect electric sign double faced.
-
Sep 1999
Modify recessed panels at facade to match storefront.
-
Aug 2002
Street space repair.
-
by 2009
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Fillmore-Pine Building — one of three National Register sites in the Japantown study area, and the only mixed-use building there so listed. The nomination dates from 1980.
-
Oct 2010
Remove millwork, lighting, dropped ceiling, hardwood floors. patch and paint, new partition wall, new marble floor, install wall mounted cabinetry, new glass window. improve front ramp for 1: 12 slope. electrical for new pendant lighting & displays.
-
Jan 2013
Demolish millwork & existing non compliant restrooms. build new millwork & ada restroom. install new finishes & some lighting. change business from johnny rockets to glaze teriyaki.
-
Apr 2013
Copy change to existing sign. non-structural sign.
-
Jun 2013
To replace existing 4 window wood sashes in kind, with new wooden sashes, double pane, street facing.
-
Jun 2013
Install 1400 sq ft of hardie siding at right side of building over existing. visble from street. no structural changes.
-
Mar 2014
Replace one non-illuminated blade sign. na ordinance #155-13.
-
Feb 2026
To comply with nov #202538460. new 34" tall partition wall added to space. no electrical or plumbing work.
DBI holds 26 permits for this parcel, most of them tenant improvements on individual floors. The timeline shows the 24 largest by stated cost, plus the earliest on file; the DBI query in the sources below returns all 26. 1 of them are nominal $1 street-space or sidewalk permits.
The city's Japantown context statement dates the Fillmore-Pine Building to 1882; the assessor's roll and Planning's historic resource survey both record 1900. Not yet documented: the architect and builder, the early tenants and the date of the last recorded sale. Submit an update