50 Belcher Street
Castro (Eureka Valley) · San Francisco, CA 94114
-
1935
The Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church opened in a new building here.
-
1936
Completed for $10,135 — a small sum for a building this size, which the statement reads as a sign the congregation volunteered its labour. The First Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Church had bought three adjoining lots here after the State of California condemned its South of Market church to build the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.
-
1958
The congregation was renamed Gethsemane Lutheran Church.
-
1964
Merged with St. Ansgar Lutheran Church at 152 Church Street to form St. Francis Lutheran Church. The statement dates the merger to 1964 in one passage and 1965 in another.
-
1977
Finnish-language services ended and the building was converted into a daycare facility, its use ever since.
-
Sep 1982
Building use: church.
-
Aug 1987
Complete work begin under appl.#8611636.
-
Dec 1991
Reroofing.
-
Jul 2011
Replace 2 interior observation windows between classroom and directors office, class room, rear resource class room. replace 3 windows along side alley on north side of building.
1 nominal $1 street-space or sidewalk permit is omitted from the timeline.
Not yet documented: the developer, the early tenants and the date of the last recorded sale. The Market & Octavia context statement describes a building of 1935 at this address; the assessor dates the building on this parcel to 1936. Submit an update