37.7859, −122.3978 A locator map appears here once a Mapbox token is configured.

240 Second Street

East Cut · San Francisco, CA 94105

  • Built 1957
  • Office building
  • 2 stories
  • Zoned C3S
  • District 6
  • Historic status: historic resource
37.7859, −122.3978 Street View appears here once a Google Maps embed key is configured.
19,912 sq ftBuilding area
21,396 sq ftLot area
31Rooms · 7 baths
  1. 1957

    Built as the Marine Fireman's Union hall, with murals by Lucienne Bloch and Stephen Poe Dimitroff. The Transit Center District Plan historic survey found it eligible for the National Register for its associations with San Francisco's labour movement and for its architecture.

    Central SoMa Historic Context Statement, adopted 2016
  2. Feb 1985

    Install soldier beams & tiebacks.

    Cancelled Permit 8501321 $$$ $29,300
  3. Sep 1985

    Install sodier beams and tiebacks.

    Complete Permit 8510163 $$$ $29,300
  4. Sep 1996

    Reroofing.

    Complete Permit 9617240 $$$ $39,905
  5. May 1998

    Shoring & underpinning per new const 9802467s.

    Complete Permit 9808144 $$$ $15,000
  6. 2008

    Recorded in the city's 2008 survey of the Transit Center District, adopted in 2012, as an individually significant building.

    Transit Center District Survey, adopted 2012
  7. May 2013

    Tiebacks as a result of the new construction on 222 2nd street project. (reference permit application 200711309386s).

    Complete Permit 201305036121 $$$ $100,000

Not yet documented: the developer, the early tenants and the date of the last recorded sale. Submit an update