37.7413, −122.4660 A locator map appears here once a Mapbox token is configured.

190 Lenox Way

West Of Twin Peaks · San Francisco, CA 94127

  • Built 1940
  • Building
  • 11 stories
  • Zoned P
  • District 7
  • Historic status: unevaluated
37.7413, −122.4660 Street View appears here once a Google Maps embed key is configured.
8,873 sq ftLot area
  1. 1940

    The West Portal branch library was designed by Frederick H. Meyer in the same Classical Revival–Mission Revival manner as its Bernal Heights twin, built by the Works Progress Administration for $106,359 and completed in 1940 with an adjoining playground. Its main reading room keeps a decorative stencilled ceiling frieze, painted in 1939 under the Federal Art Project.

    San Francisco New Deal Historic Context Statement, adopted 2023
  2. May 2001

    Reroofing.

    Complete Permit 200105239801 $$$ $63,547
  3. Mar 2004

    This project is a remodel and addition to a 6786 sq ft library.

    Complete Permit 200403108279 $$$ $1,700,000
  4. Jan 2005

    This application is only for the non structural demolition portion of the total scope of work under.

    Issued Permit 200501243794 $$$ $50,000
  5. Jan 2005

    Streetspace.

    Issued Permit M31011
  6. Jun 2005

    Shoring for foundation work - ref. permit application 2004/03/10/8279.

    Issued Permit 200506276150 $$$ $15,000
  7. Apr 2006

    Installation of new fire alarm system.

    Complete Permit 200604209421 $$$ $30,000
  8. Aug 2006

    Streetspace.

    Issued Permit M38913
  9. Mar 2007

    Revision to permit application 200403108279s1. building down rated to 5-1 hour due to unprotected opening at 10'0" frame. high strength bolting eliminated on hoist way beam. to 2-5/8 % 1/4x3" hilti kwik @ bolts at steel frame opening roof.

    Issued Permit 200703055471 $$$ $1
  10. 2023

    Recommended for city landmark designation in 2023, on historical, aesthetic and artistic grounds.

    San Francisco New Deal Historic Context Statement, adopted 2023

4 nominal $1 street-space or sidewalk permits are omitted from the timeline.

Not yet documented: the architect and builder, the early tenants and the date of the last recorded sale. The assessor dates the building to 1940; Planning's historic resource survey records 1939. Submit an update