1196–1198 Fulton Street
Western Addition · San Francisco, CA 94117
-
1928
The Westerfeld House, built in 1889 to a design by Henry Geilfuss as a Stick Italianate villa, was rented by the Russian Club from 1928 to 1937. It held the club's library and was the headquarters of the Consolidated Committee of Russian National Organizations, which worked from here on the 1933 amendment to the Registry Act granting amnesty to Russian immigrants; a film was shot inside it in 1933. Émigrés went on renting rooms in the house into the 1950s.
-
Mar 1995
Reroofing.
-
Aug 2000
Voluntary foundation strengthening at perimeter only & remove & replace lower level sheetrk walls.
-
Nov 2000
Replace flooring, take out non load bearing walls for foundation work.insatll sheer walls, drywall&.
-
Jun 2001
Adjust 9 existing fire sprinkler heads to new height.
-
Dec 2003
Replace counter tops install sink & faucet. no other work or structural changes.
The 2025 Russian American Historic Context Statement gives this building's San Francisco landmark number as #134 in one place and #135 in another, and its National Register reference as 89000197 in one place and 89000179 in another. Not yet documented: the architect and builder, the early residents and the date of the last recorded sale. Submit an update