864 Fulton Street
Western Addition · San Francisco, CA 94117
-
1880
Built in 1880 to a design by John Wright and constructed by Wright and Sanders as St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, at the Webster Street corner in what is now the Alamo Square Historic District.
-
1930
Bought in 1930 by a breakaway Russian Orthodox congregation and consecrated as the Holy Virgin Joy of All Who Sorrow Cathedral. The pews were removed and an iconostasis installed; Victor Arnautoff painted the fresco The Entombment of Christ in the interior in 1929, Gleb Ilyin contributed murals and icons, and Feodot Zadorojny painted icons that were shipped from Harbin. Three stained-glass windows in the choir were made in 1943 by Carl Huneke of Century Stained Glass Studio. The building also housed a parochial school and a choir.
-
Jan 2003
Reroofing.
-
Jun 2005
Streetspace.
2 nominal $1 street-space or sidewalk permits are omitted from the timeline.
The 2025 Russian American Historic Context Statement describes this building's style as German Renaissance in its evaluation of the property and as German Gothic in the historical narrative. Not yet documented: the architect and builder, the early tenants and the date of the last recorded sale. The assessor dates the building to 1900; Planning's historic resource survey records 1890. Submit an update