1399 McAllister Street
Alamo Square · San Francisco, CA 94115
-
1852
The congregation was founded as the First Colored Baptist Church of San Francisco, the first African American Baptist congregation west of the Rocky Mountains. Its first building stood on Dupont Street, now 1640–1644 Grant Avenue.
-
1855
The congregation took the name Third Baptist Church, as the third Baptist communion founded in the city and to be an inclusive church without a racial designation.
-
1896
The congregation moved from Dupont Street to a building at Bush and Powell Streets, which the 1906 earthquake and fire destroyed.
-
1908
The congregation built a church at Hyde and Clay Streets on Nob Hill, where it remained for 44 years.
-
1932–1971
The Reverend Frederick Douglas Haynes Sr. served as pastor. He ran for the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1945.
-
1952
The congregation moved to the Western Addition and commissioned architect William F. Gunnison to design the sanctuary and the detached bell tower that fronts McAllister Street.
-
1956
The youth and classroom building, which houses the gymnasium on its second floor, was designed by architect Alfred W. Johnson and built as an addition.
-
1959
The cross that stands atop the bell tower was added.
-
Apr 1982
Alterations or repairs; DBI records no description.
-
Oct 1985
Rear stair repaired; dry-rotted treads replaced.
-
Nov 1986
Accessible ramp installed at the gymnasium entrance.
-
Dec 1986
Accessible ramp as per plans.
-
Feb 1987
Application to legalize an existing basement room and bathroom.
-
Apr 1987
Two accessible doors installed in the gymnasium, with patching and paint.
-
Feb 1991
Acoustical tile ceiling installed.
-
Jan 1993
Two interior doors sealed.
-
Jul 1999
Equipment, appliances and finish flooring removed.
-
Aug 1999
New subfloor and flooring; dishwasher relocated.
-
May 2001
Reroofing.
-
Nov 2002
Emergency shoring of a staircase, with the permanent repair filed separately.
-
Jul 2008
Entry service water lines repaired from the bell tower basement to the water heater room, about 50 linear feet, with 15 feet of exterior trench between the bell tower and the main church.
-
Jan 2010
Reroofing.
-
Nov 2017
The Third Baptist Church Complex was designated an Article 10 individual landmark by Ordinance 226-17, for its association with the congregation's role in the advancement of African Americans in San Francisco, with the Reverend Frederick Douglas Haynes Sr., and as one of the first Midcentury Modern ecclesiastical buildings in the Western Addition.
-
Feb 2018
An 18-inch round city landmark plaque installed on the McAllister Street facade.
-
Nov 2019
Rear stairs replaced in kind.
DBI holds 19 permits for this parcel; three street-space and sidewalk permits are omitted above.
Sources disagree on two dates. The Argonaut puts the congregation's first pastor, the Reverend Charles Satchell, in place in 1854; SF Planning's landmark designation report gives 1856. The Argonaut has the congregation beginning its activities on Dupont Street in 1852; the designation report has it forming that year at a private residence on Kearny Street and moving into the Dupont Street building in 1854. Also not documented: the building area, which the 2025 roll leaves blank for this parcel. Submit an update