4701–4705 Third Street
Bayview Hunters Point · San Francisco, CA 94124
-
Oct 1884
Local Masons built the South San Francisco Opera House as a community centre and lodge house.
-
Oct 24, 1888
The Opera House opened to the public with a performance of John W. Sherman's Phantasma.
-
1954
Gene K. Walker's Hunters Point Project Committee asked the San Francisco Housing Authority for $12,000 to buy the building and rehabilitate it as a community recreation centre. The bid failed, but it drew citywide attention to the conditions African American residents were living in on Hunters Point ridge.
-
1966
The Bayview Neighborhood Community Center moved in from its first home at 1201–05 Mendell Street.
-
Jun 2002
Rooting repairs & hvac (furnace replacement).
-
Nov 2002
Rev#200206199473 to delete add altermate#1 furnace f-1 improvements ( new grilles, baloncing & t st.
-
Dec 2013
Accessible site path, hardscape and lavoscape in provements, existing out door stage and seating, building renovation; accessible upgrades main entrance @ main level, addition accessible restroom at lower level, accessible access to stage, water proofing of s wall, balcovt structural upgrades.
-
Jul 2014
Replacement and reroute of existing 4" fire sprinkler underground fire service of the main on newcomb st with new 6" fire service off of 8" main on 3rd st.
-
Dec 2015
Add & expand the fire alarm system to cover critical area of the building. 4 pull stations, 21 notifications. referenced ti 2013.1224.5004.
-
Nov 2016
Emergency panel replacement and remove and replace initiation devices.
-
Jul 2017
As built for fire inspection request for final under app#201407181601.
-
Sep 2020
Replace wood floor in auditorium in kind. refinish wooden stage, floor, stairs and landings. resurface flooring in classroom and 2 dressing room with 3/8" wood recovered from auditorium floor. no exterior work.
-
Jan 2021
Installation of facade lighting & controls. title 24 compliance.
2 nominal $1 street-space or sidewalk permits are omitted from the timeline.
The building is addressed 1601 Newcomb Avenue in its landmark designation and in every survey of it; the assessor and EAS carry the corner parcel as 4701–4705 Third Street. The assessor dates the building 1900; the 2010 survey dates it 1884. Most pre-1906 buildings in the district carry a default assessor date of 1900, because the city's building records were destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and fire.
Not yet documented: the architect and builder, the early tenants and the date of the last recorded sale. Submit an update