37.7336, −122.3891 A locator map appears here once a Mapbox token is configured.

1513 Oakdale Avenue

Bayview Hunters Point · San Francisco, CA 94124

  • Built 1900
  • Church
  • Zoned RH-1
  • District 10
  • Historic status: unevaluated
  • St. Paul of the Shipwreck
37.7336, −122.3891 Street View appears here once a Google Maps embed key is configured.
2,495 sq ftLot area
  1. 1874

    Built as a gathering hall. It is among the oldest surviving structures in the Town Center Activity Node.

    Area B Survey context statement, 2010
  2. 1914

    The Reverend Andrew Azzopardi organised the first ethnic parish of Roman Catholic Maltese in California, drawn from the Maltese community that had settled in the still-rural Bayview, known then as Butchertown.

    Area B Survey context statement, 2010
  3. 1915

    The archbishop of San Francisco gave the hall to the Maltese congregation.

    Area B Survey context statement, 2010
  4. 1922

    The archbishop consecrated the building and gave it the title St. Paul of the Shipwreck, after the New Testament account of the Apostle Paul's shipwreck on Malta in 60 A.D. It was expanded and remodelled as a combined church and social hall in 1922–23.

    Area B Survey context statement, 2010
  5. late 1950s

    The Maltese congregation sold the building and built a new St. Paul of the Shipwreck in the Bret Harte neighbourhood. It remains in use as a church, as Bayview Baptist Church.

    Area B Survey context statement, 2010

The 2010 survey gives this property as 1515 Oakdale Avenue on parcels 5323022 and 5323023. EAS assigns 1515 Oakdale Avenue to the adjoining parcel 5323021A, which the assessor records as a parking lot, and gives this parcel the address 1513 Oakdale Avenue; 5323023 has no EAS address at all. The assessor classes both 5323022 and 5323023 as churches, convents or rectories. The assessor dates the building 1900; the 2010 survey dates it 1874. Most pre-1906 buildings in the district carry a default assessor date of 1900, because the city's building records were destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and fire.

Not yet documented: the architect and builder, the early tenants and the date of the last recorded sale. Submit an update