140 Maiden Lane
Union Square · San Francisco, CA 94108
-
1949
Frank Lloyd Wright's remodel of 1948-49 for the V. C. Morris Gift Shop, which set itself deliberately against the open-front storefronts of its day: a closed front, with the display kept for those who came inside.
-
May 1983
Additions alterations or repairs.
-
Jul 1985
Replace existing roofing, skylights and exhaust fans.
-
Sep 1985
Sign - erect.
-
Apr 1997
Install of 3 stop hydraulic elevator, renovate existingrestrm.
-
Jul 1997
Renewal per app#9706284.
-
Jan 2002
Umb-upgrade of historic landmark building.
-
Aug 2002
Temporary shoring for umb 200201227411.
-
Oct 2016
New finishes for floor & paint on walls. replacement of some non-historic lighting fixtures with led. existing structure & historic elements to remain.
-
Oct 2016
Erect non-electric, wall, single-faced, non-illuminated, new sign.
-
Oct 2016
Erect non-electric, projecting, double-faced, non-illuminated, replacement sign.
-
May 2017
Replacement of existing mechanical unit, in kind no other work.
-
Jul 2017
Replace (10) pendent fire sprinklers. no under gorund work. ref permit application 201705257702.
-
Jul 2017
Revision 201610140344 changes include various lighting, finishes, fixtures.
-
Jul 2017
Addition of 1 graphic on approved banner sign 201610140352.
-
Jan 2018
Voluntary replace panel change communication from pots line to cellular.
-
Nov 2019
1st fl - barrier removal only: provide new ada compliant actuator. button ballard tied to existing poiwer door actuator. remove existing power door operator (high only) and replace light fixture to match existing original condition.
-
Mar 2025
Remove anchors. patch anchor holes with compatible mortar to match existing surround (ie jahn patching mortar for brick in color ptc207).
-
Apr 2025
Install non-illuminated projecting double faced banner onto existing brackets.
-
Jun 2026
To obtain final inspection for work approved under permit application 202504083932. all work is complete.
-
Aug 2026
Revision to permit application 202504083932: patch 5 anchor holes in brick facade.
2 nominal $1 street-space or sidewalk permits are omitted from the timeline.
The statement dates the remodel to 1949 in the figure caption and to 1948 in the storefront-systems chapter. Not yet documented: the architect and builder and the early tenants. Submit an update